Thursday, October 22, 2020

Steak Saturday

Saturdays have recently become steak nights in my house. The three-bears picture below shows dinner for me, my daughter, and my son.
And no, they're not too hot, too cold, or just right - they're medium rare (me), medium (my son), and well-done (my daughter).

No need for a recipe, as it's pretty simple: I just cook it in a little canola oil with salt and pepper on both sides and it comes out great. We don't even use steak sauce. The sides are white rice (of course) and sliced mushrooms sauteed in the leftover steak oil with some garlic oil and butter added to it. My daughter doesn't eat the mushrooms - she hates mushrooms - but they're a big hit with my son (and me).

We don't do this EVERY Saturday because it's good to limit your red meat consumption, or so I've heard. But once in a while is nice. And, despite the current high prices of beef, it's still a pretty cost-effective way to feed three people, especially when compared to buying take-out (which we actually do quite a lot of. Support your local restaurants!)

Anyway, I -

Felicity: Yo. Where's OUR steak?
Brian: I...I didn't make any for you guys.
Joel: Why not?
Brian: You...don't actually eat.
Felicity: Sure we do. All the time.
Brian: I mean...
Felicity: Oh, is this that "you guys are fictional characters" argument that you always bust out whenever you don't want to spend money on us?
Brian: Well, it's just that -
Felicity (to Joel): C'mon, man. We'll go get our own dinner.
Joel: Um, okay. But we don't have any money.
Felicity (quietly): I still have his credit card from last time.
Brian: I heard that.

No comments:

Post a Comment