Thursday, August 9, 2018

Anime Roundup: Shows That Start With The Letter "S" Find Themselves In An Appropriate Category?

Okay, so it's only been ten weeks since the inaugural Anime Roundup post, but man - I am so into this stuff now that I just have to talk about it.
Anime Hair
If you've read the original post, then you know that these are not really reviews, they're just my random thoughts and feelings about shows that I've watched or am watching. And also, I group the shows into categories with Japanese-style rankings, as you shall see below.

Category S: Loved Them So Much That Once I Got Going I Couldn't Stop

Sword Art Online & Sword Art Online II
Wow, did I enjoy this. Its premise is similar to Ready Player One in that they both feature fully immersive virtual reality worlds; the film version of RPO even makes a reference to SAO. Can someone please hurry up and develop this technology for real already? Also, I found out that there's a full-length SAO movie, but then when I tried to rent it, only the English dub version was available. C'mon, people, I need the original Japanese version with English subtitles, otherwise it just doesn't seem like the same characters! Can you please make that available? I want to give you money! (Edit: I discovered that there's a DVD version available for purchase, which I just might have to do.)

Soul Eater
I actually noticed references to this show in the comic strip "Sally Forth" when the Forth family went to their local Comic-Con and Hil and her friend Duncan cosplayed as Maka and Soul. At the time I thought I sort of recognized them, based on seeing Maka and Soul elsewhere in a peripheral, subconscious fashion (probably at a Comic-Con in real life). So when I saw that the show was available on Netflix, I figured, why not give it a try. And wow, am I glad I did. Love it, love it, love it. The main theme song even inspired me to translate - poorly, I'm sure - the verses of an upcoming Second Player Score song into Japanese, which you may get to hear me attempt to sing if you attend the yet-to-be-scheduled release party for our third album.

One Punch Man
In the inaugural post I noted that this show was on a fast track to Category S. And, well, here it is. And yes, I know, it doesn't start with the letter "S," but whatever.

Previous category S shows: Death Note, Aggretsuko

Category A: Didn't Love Them, But Liked Them Well Enough

Ouran High School Host Club
This seemed kind of fun, and my daughter really liked it, so I thought I'd check it out. And yeah, it is fun. Lots of humor and probably the most "anime-ish" out of all the shows I've seen so far (i.e. the sweat drops, the exaggerated expressions, etc.). It's somewhat culturally progressive, too, which is awesome. Throw in some well-timed meta jokes and fourth wall-breaking on top of that, and it's be still, my heart!

(UPDATE 8/11/18: I just finished watching the last episode. Wow, so good. Not enough to elevate the entire series into Category S, but it definitely deserves a top ranking as far as individual episodes go.)

Previous category A shows: Devilman Crybaby

Category B: Tried To Get Into Them But Just Couldn't For Some Reason; Might Try Again Someday

Fullmetal Alchemist
Sorry, Dan. I watched fourteen episodes but then never really felt like picking it back up again. And I have no idea why. I mean, technically, this should be a show that I absolutely adore. I'm guessing that I'll give it another chance eventually.

Kill La Kill
Got through three episodes. I dunno, it wasn't bad, but I think the issue was that I was sampling Sword Art Online at the same time, and that show just sort of took off and squeezed everything else out.

Violet Evergarden
Saw two episodes. Was kind of slow for my taste. Seeing as how it appears to be - at some level - about writing, you would think I would've liked it more?

Gurren Lagann
Another show that, on the surface, should've rocketed its way straight to Category S. However, it stalled after three episodes.

Previous category B shows: Attack On Titan

Well, that's it for now. Let's see if I can wait another ten weeks before writing the next installment of Anime Roundup!

No comments:

Post a Comment