Thursday, February 1, 2024

Most Exclusive Restaurants in Science Fiction

I recently finished watching Fermat's Cuisine on Netflix, the latest in a long line of Japanese live-action dramedies that I've been consuming (mostly all from TBS; keep them coming, Netflix). It was about a young math prodigy who, upon discovering that he isn't the best mathematician in the country, makes an unintended pivot to becoming a chef, where his math skills come in handy in the kitchen, like with creating recipes and such.
He's discovered by the head chef at an exclusive French-Asian cuisine restaurant, who then begins grooming him to become his eventual successor. Now, I'm no hardcore foodie, but I am a fan of these kinds of story settings, as I've always had a sort of fascination with food service culture, despite never having worked in the industry myself (I have watched Food Wars and Iron Chef, however. I've also tried to get into The Bear, but for some reason Hulu kicks me out of the show every few minutes or so, so I got frustrated and gave up after grinding my way through the first episode, which I really liked despite the interruptions. It's weird, because I can watch other Hulu programming with no issues. What, Hulu, is your award-winning crown jewel too exclusive for me?) (see what I did there)

Anyway, this got me thinking about other fictional exclusive restaurants, mainly in science fiction. Here are the top three that came to mind (warning: mild spoilers):

1. Milliways

Or, as it's otherwise known, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, from Douglas Adams' The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, the second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy." Despite being a popular five-star eatery, you can actually get a table quite easily via time travel.

2. Unnamed Restaurant on Darillium

From the Doctor Who episode The Husbands of River Song, this place has a four-year waiting list that the Doctor circumvented by using - what else - time travel. I'm guessing it was inspired by Milliways. The balcony seating has a great view of the Singing Towers of Darillium (pictured above), where one night lasts 24 years. That's a lot of desserts.

3. Trilligan's

From Joel Suzuki, Volume Seven: Vision of the Virtuoso, this is a restaurant so exclusive, the wife of the most powerful being in the multiverse still has to make a reservation. I swear the use of double-Ls in the name (like "Milliways" or "Darillium") is a coincidence. Or maybe something subliminal. Anyway, their specialty is sauteed space slug. Delicious.

Are there any that I missed? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment