Thursday, January 11, 2018

Movie Roundup: Is It 2018 Already? Edition

Man, does time sure go by fast. I can't believe that the last proper Movie Roundup I did was over five months ago. Anyway, here we are, talking about a bunch of films that came out over this past holiday season as well as one that was released during the previous year's holiday season that I finally got around to watching. Also, here are the usual disclaimers: these are not really reviews, these are just my random thoughts about movies I've seen, and oh - there may be massive, massive spoilers.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle
This one was worth it just to see Elton John as a foul-mouthed action hero. Think they'll figure out a way to bring Lancelot and Merlin back? Yeah, me too.

Thor: Ragnarok
As I said in my special MCU edition of Movie Roundup last November, this one was a lot of fun and was easily the best of the three solo Thor films. In fact, it actually made - in my opinion - the first two retroactively better. Everyone in it seemed to be having a great time, and Matt Damon's cameo was hilarious. Also, Hela's deer antler helmet = epic.

Coco
I really enjoyed this one. Doesn't Miguel look a bit like Marco Diaz from Star vs. The Forces of Evil, though, with the reddish-orange hoodie and everything? I suppose they're both Disney properties, so what the heck. Either way, I love the fact that there's another young male protagonist who plays a stringed instrument to go along with Kubo and some other dude named Joel Suzuki.

Arrival
And now it's catch-up viewing time. I had heard good things about this one but never got around to seeing it in theaters. It was quite a change of pace from my usual diet of super-whiz-bang action flicks, and I liked it a lot. The whole idea of the heptapods experiencing all events at once was fascinating. Also, Lois Lane and Hawkeye getting together? Scandalous! Wait, that's the super-whiz-bang action flick part of me talking.

Justice League
Speaking of super-whiz-bang action flicks...to be honest, I had put off seeing this one for a while because of the negative reviews it received, but - surprise - I actually had an incredibly good time! It was concise, punchy, funny, and Henry Cavill's upper lip didn't appear uncanny-valley-ish to me at all. Sure, Steppenwolf was one-dimensional, but that's basically how it goes with stuff like this. And, I mean, Cyborg had to say "boo-yah." I would've been very disappointed otherwise!

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Porgs look delicious.

And that concludes my Movie Roundups for 2017. Tune in next time when I will probably offer short and random thoughts about Please Stand By (can't wait for that one), Black Panther, A Wrinkle in Time, Ready Player One, Avengers: Infinity War, and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment