Thursday, July 23, 2026

Real-Life Side Quest: Backyard Weeds

Remember when I said recently that life is like a video game? Well, it is. To me, at least. And while I'm focusing most of my attention on the main story quest, occasionally side quests will pop up, some of them more annoying than others.
The one that I'm talking about this week is called "Backyard Weeds." It shows up in my side quest log every summer. Most of the time, I'm able to complete it, but this year I think it might be a lost cause. I'm telling you, those blackberries and dandelions and what-have-you are relentless. Remember this post I wrote about weeds ten years ago? Yeah, not much has changed!

The annoyance level of this side quest is probably on par with Fun Fun Island (aka No Fun Island) and Salvatore's Squids from The Legend of Zelda (various titles). I mean, I know I said in this previous post that thinking of these side quests as adventures rather than nuisances makes them more enjoyable, but when the amount of weeds seems to double every week, the adventure starts to wear a little thin.

So while I work on adjusting my attitude (*deep breath* honestly, I am grateful that I even have a backyard), in the meantime, I will try to borrow a chainsaw from my drummer and/or wait until winter arrives and takes care of things naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment