Here's the latest status update on Joel Suzuki and the Wavemakers, the musical stage play adaptation of Volume One.
- Wrote out the arrangements for the stage play versions of the songs so that I'd have something to actually look at during band practice instead of trying to perform them from memory.- Finished reading Writing Musical Theater (very helpful, highly recommended).
- Watched what seemed like a relatively low-budget production of Rent. At least it seemed relatively low-budget when compared to the other stuff I've seen recently (Frozen, Hamilton). But it was still excellent, as the performances, script, and music really carried it. Makes me hopeful for what we might be able to accomplish with little money (although I think we will have some pretty sweet special effects regardless).
- Speaking of money, I came up with a preliminary budget. I think we can pull this off for around $20-25k, which is about what we spent on Hold My Beer. Fortunately we are saving on things like rights and royalties (since I wrote the script and music), a director (which is me), and the pit band (my band). Still, if we can raise more, that would be great, since I would like to pay our cast and crew--for which my goal is to employ as much autistic and neurodivergent talent as possible--as much as possible.
- Finally worked up the courage to watch the video footage of the table read we did in late August. Everyone did a great job; that's not what I was nervous about. I was wondering how the script, story, and flow would sound. But it was actually quite good! And I know I'm probably biased, but I do tend to be my own worst critic, so.
- Booked a visit to PHAME in Portland, a nonprofit performing arts school that serves the intellectual and developmental disability community. It won't happen until November because part of the I-5 freeway between Vancouver, WA and Portland has been shut down for five weeks, but when I do go, I'm hoping I can find people who are interested in working on the play.
- Set our opening date as January 2028 and emailed a local venue to see if they will rent to us. Fingers crossed!

No comments:
Post a Comment