Thursday, May 14, 2015

Guest Post #2: Joel's Favorite Female Sci-Fi/Fantasy Characters

Okay, Felicity Smith here, back for another week of boring busy work filling in for what's-his-name while he's off working on some kind of manuscript or something. I actually think that he's taking a vacation, but whatever.

So, last time we left off with me interviewing Joel about his favorite female sci-fi/fantasy characters (not my idea). We decided that we were just gonna do his top five because there's no way I'm gonna sit through one of his entire lists, which can easily get into the hundreds. I'm not kidding. All right, here we go.

Me: Yo
Joel: Um, hey.
Me: So, top five female sci-fi/fantasy characters. Go.
Joel: Wait, what?
Me: Don't you remember? We talked about this last week.
Joel: Uh, well...
Me: Don't think about it too much.
Joel: Okay. Well, number five would be a tie.
Me, sighing: Of course it is.

#5 (tie): Katara (from Avatar: The Last Airbender) and Korra (from The Legend of Korra)
Joel: So, yeah, it's these two.
Me: Okay, tell me why.
Joel: Why what?
Me: Why do you like them.
Joel: Oh, uh, well...I dunno, they're just really strong characters who can fight and do awesome stuff.
Me: ...and?
Joel: And, uh, you know, Katara really helped Aang with his journey, like teaching him waterbending and stuff, and she was supportive of him, but independent too. Like, you know, she wasn't just a sidekick or something like that. She played a big part in the whole story. And Korra, I mean, well, she's the Avatar. You can't get much more awesome than that.
Me: Those are actually pretty good reasons.
Joel: Did you know they're both from the Southern Water Tribe? I thought that was kind of cool, because -
Me: Yes, I've seen the shows. Let's go to the next one, shall we? Who's number four. And please don't tell me it's a tie.
Joel: It's not.

#4: Princess Leia Organa (from Star Wars)
Me: That's a pretty obvious choice.
Joel: Yeah.
Me: So, reasons?
Joel: Well, kind of similar to Katara and Korra...she's strong and does her own thing. She's in charge of the Rebel forces, she can use a blaster, and she's even Force-sensitive, although she doesn't really know it.
Me: Dude, I am so glad you didn't mention the metal bikini.
Joel: I, uh, well, I, um...
Me: Moving on.

#3: Katniss Everdeen (from The Hunger Games)
Me: Hold on, I need to grab a soda.
Joel: Okay.
Me:
Joel:
Me: All right, I'm back. So - Katniss Everdeen, eh?
Joel: Um, yeah.
Me: Why.
Joel: To be honest, I actually didn't like her too much at first, because she seemed to be kind of mean and grouchy. But then the more I read, the more I started to like her. She really cared for her sister, and she made friends with Rue instead of killing her, and all that stuff. Plus, she was really good with the bow and arrow, which was cool.
Me: And who can forget "Thank you for your consideration."
Joel, laughing: Yeah, that was sweet.
Me: Sure. Okay, who's number two.

#2: Hermione Granger (from Harry Potter)
Me: You realize that these are all, like, really well-known characters. Don't you have some obscure favorites?
Joel: Well, yeah, I mean, I didn't have much time to think about this, so I just kinda went with the ones off the top of my head. I can list a whole bunch more if you like, just give me a few minutes to -
Me: Forget it. Hermione Granger, yay. Tell me about her.
Joel: You don't know who Hermione Granger is?
Me, sighing: Of course I do. What I meant was, tell me about why you like her.
Joel: Um, she's smart, good at spells, strong, independent...
Me: I'm starting to sense a recurring theme here.
Joel: Huh?
Me: Never mind, continue.
Joel: Well, uh...that's it, really.
Me: Okay, great. number one, here we go.
Joel: Should I do a drum roll?
Me: No.

#1: Princess Zelda (from The Legend of Zelda)
Me: I should have guessed.
Joel: I like her 'cause she's -
Me: Yeah, yeah, I know, she can fight, she can use light arrows, and even though Link has to rescue her a lot, she does seem to be able to hold her own, especially in the later games. She's even a pirate in Wind Waker, and her Sheik alter ego kicks some serious butt.
Joel: Wow, you seem to know a lot about her. I though you didn't play video games?
Me: I don't. I just read all this stuff somewhere.
Joel: Um, okay. So why did you ask me for this list, anyway?
Me: I dunno, it was that other dude's idea - you know, the guy who runs this blog.
Joel: Oh, right.
Me: But yeah, that's a good question - why would he want me to talk to you about your favorite female fictional characters?
Joel: Yeah, I mean, it's not like you're a fictional character or anything.
Me: Wait, what did you just say?
Joel: Um, nothing.
Me: Hmm. Well, anyway, I think that's good enough for this week. Even though I don't really want to, I'm pretty sure I'll be back next time to talk about something else. Hopefully something that I choose. So, until then, later.
Joel: Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment