Thursday, April 20, 2023

A Glitch In The Matrix?

If you've been following this blog, then you may remember (or not) that I've written three previous posts titled "Evidence That We Are Living In A Simulation." In these posts, I detailed several examples of why, perhaps, we may all be characters - either player or nonplayer(!?) - in one big video game. Recently, I experienced another such example, but since there is only one of them to talk about, I changed the title of this post accordingly (I guess that doesn't really make any sense, but whatever).
Tonikaku ("anyway"), recently I finished watching a Japanese rom-com on Netflix called "The Full-Time Wife Escapist." It was a fun and charming show that I really enjoyed (the fact that the leads are actually married in real life made it even more adorable), but that's not the point here. What is the point is this: you know how when you finish an episode of a show on Netflix, it automatically starts playing the next one? Well, at the conclusion of the penultimate episode (I'm not counting the New Year's special, which, by the way, I loved for its pretty spot-on portrayal of life during Covid), I was exposed to the first few seconds of the season/series finale before I had a chance to hit the "back" button. During those few seconds, there was a shot of the female lead in her kitchen, and I distinctly heard her say (or, more accurately, read the subtitle of her saying) "I ruined the proposal." Which, you know, she kind of did. Then I backed out, planning on watching the finale the next day.

When I did, to my surprise, she did not say anything even remotely like "I ruined the proposal." I even rewatched it to make sure. That line was not uttered at the beginning of the episode, nor during the remainder of it. I am at a loss to explain how this happened. Could Netflix have changed the subtitle overnight? Or even the actual line of dialogue? Why would they do that? My best guess is that, like when my drummer and his wife heard a character on Fargo say "I'll text you later," or when they heard Reilly and Jonesy in Letterkenny saying "ferda," this is yet another example of a streaming-series-related glitch in the Matrix. If you have a better explanation, please let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment