Thursday, September 14, 2023

I Was A Production Assistant On A Film Set!

For the past three days, I had the privilege and pleasure of being a Production Assistant on the set of a brilliant documentary-in-progress called Our Mr. Matsura. Directed by my good friend and awesome independent filmmaker Beth Harrington, it tells the story of a photographer named Frank Matsura who journeyed from Japan to live in rural Washington state in the early 1900s.
Beth was kind enough to let me join the production during the time it spent filming in Seattle, where I had the opportunity to learn and observe the ins-and-outs of filmmaking while performing typical Production Assistant duties like watching equipment (a job apparently called "Fire Watch" in show biz language), moving equipment, driving crew members around, and picking up lunch. Locations included a store called Vintage Posters, Photographs, Postcards and Ephemera, the Lake View Cemetery (where Bruce and Brandon Lee are buried!), and the Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Washington (pictured above).

Big thanks to Beth and the incredible, gracious crew (Nora, Kevin, Asia, Caitlin, and Jordan) for being patient with me and answering my questions. I learned a lot and had a great time while (hopefully) lending a helping hand. All in all, it was a terrific experience and an invaluable education as I attempt to level up my filmmaking skills in preparation for Hold My Beer.

Oh, and tomorrow, my band/multimedia production team Second Player Score will be dropping the second-to-last track off our latest album 4-D. It's an anime-theme-song-inspired, six-minute-plus epic affair titled "Battle Royale" that, in the grand concept album scheme of things, is about the climactic final confrontation between the heroes and the villain, but can also apply to any fight you have in real life (which is hopefully not as violent as the one in our story). Here are the lyrics:

I lost the war before I even began
This whole charade was just a part of your plan
You only wanted someone else you could blame
Well now I've gone and changed the rules of the game

And you won't take me down tonight
'Cause all you have is selfish spite

So yes, I guess it's finally come down to this
And no, you won't be someone that I will miss
'Cause only one of us will stand in the end
My lone regret is that I called you my friend

And you won't take me down tonight
'Cause all you have is selfish spite
And I will take you down tonight
'Cause we both know that I am right

And you won't take me down tonight
'Cause all you have is selfish spite
And I will take you down tonight
'Cause we both know that I am right

I don't care
And I swear
To mend the broken little pieces of my heart

Check it out on all the usual streaming platforms!

No comments:

Post a Comment