Thursday, April 16, 2015

Exclusive Interview With Marshall Byle, Part One

(Editor's note: this interview took place four years before the events of Secret of the Songshell. Just thought you'd like to know.)

After the release of their breakthrough third album, Rulers of the Universe, and the subsequent thirteen-month-long world tour, you would think that Marshall Byle, the lead singer and guitarist of the now multi-platinum rock band Biledriver, would want to take a well-deserved break. But you would be wrong. As I found out during this entertaining and enlightening interview, the irrepressible dynamo known affectionately to his fans as "Stack" (as in, a stack of Marshall amplifiers - c'mon, you knew that) was just getting started....
Thanks for talking to me today. I know you must be exhausted after just coming off of that tour.

Oh, not at all. In fact, I feel like I could go another three months, you know? (laughs) I really despise sitting still, it just bores me to death. I have to always be doing something.

I'm sure your fans would love it if you continued touring.

And, believe me, I would love it as well! But, you know, me mates in the band were starting to get a wee bit...run down, I suppose is a nice way to put it. They needed a break.

This album has been such a huge success. Is that something you were expecting at all?

Well, to be honest - and I say this in all modesty - yes, I really was. I had a feeling, instinctively, that our first two albums were not as brilliant as they could have been, but with this one, I was quite certain that I had stumbled upon sort of a magic formula, as it were. A way to write songs that really connected with people, at a deep, core emotional level.

Where do you suppose that came from? Was it something that you had been gradually working towards, or was it more of a sudden epiphany?

A little of both. Although, I will admit, there actually was a moment where the switch flipped on, so to speak.

Can you tell us more about that?

No. It's a trade secret. (laughs)

Fair enough. Do you feel any pressure about having to follow it up?

Oh, not at all. In fact, I already have all the songs for our next album written. It's going to blow your (bleeping) mind. I can't wait to get to work on it.

And I can't wait to hear it. Will it be kind of a quasi-concept album, like Rulers of the Universe?

It may be...or not. (laughs) I mean, blimey, mate, I'm not going to give anything away this early, you know? But trust me, it will be amazing.

Coming up in Part Two: Where Marshall gets the inspiration for his songs from, and what the band does on their tour bus after shows....

P.S. Tune in to the Portland Radio Project this coming Saturday (April 18) at 10:30am Pacific to hear a live interview and in-studio acoustic performance with - no, not Marshall Byle - Second Player Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment