Thursday, December 1, 2022

Baseball Review With April and Lydia: Hot Stove Edition

Back on October 6th, we had a special playoffs edition of our usual Major League Baseball recap since the Mariners actually made the playoffs for the first time in a gajillion years. At the end of that post, I asked our resident baseball/Seattle Mariners fans April Hayashi and Lydia Sanchez to come back for a postseason wrap-up later in the month. And so, we're doing that today, Tuesday, November 29th, even though this post will be published on Thursday, December 1st. As such, moves may have been made in the meantime. [UPDATE: the Mariners signed a relief pitcher and filled their assistant general manager position, but that's about it]
Lydia: They'd better have! I'm getting impatient. And bored.
April: I don't think anything's going to happen until the Winter Meetings next week, at the earliest.
Lydia: But the Astros just signed Jose Abreu! Come on, Jerry and Justin, do something cool.
April: The Teoscar Hernandez trade was pretty cool.
Lydia: Yeah, but what have you done for me lately?
Brian: All right, I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. Shouldn't we talk about the postseason first?
Lydia: Meh. Beating the Blue Jays was great, but that Astros series sucked.
April: At least the M's lost to the eventual champs.
Lydia: Small consolation. I hate those guys.
April: It was kind of cool to see the Phillies make it, at least.
Lydia: Whatever. Enough postseason talk. Hot stove time!
Brian: Okay, well, what kinds of moves would you folks like to see the Mariners make? Considering they're probably in the market for an outfielder, a middle infielder, and maybe a pitcher or two.
Lydia: I would like to see them sign Aaron Judge, but I know that's not going to happen. Instead, I want Brandon Nimmo, Trea Turner, and Kodai Senga.
Brian: Going big as usual, huh?
Lydia: Heck yeah.
Brian: What about you, April?
April: I'd say try to sign Andrew Benintendi or maybe Michael Conforto for the outfield, then trade for either Kolten Wong or Gleyber Torres for the second base spot. Oh, and yeah, Senga would be great for the rotation, but I've heard he wants to go to a big-market team.
Lydia: So conservative.
April: Hey, like I said last year, I'm wary of expensive, long-term free agent contracts.
Lydia: So is the team, apparently.
Brian: April, do you think those options would help the Mariners close the gap with the Astros?
April: I think so. And it would allow them to maintain more flexibility financially and roster-wise.
Brian: I assume you're counting on internal improvements, as well.
April: Well, yeah, I mean, Luis Castillo will be there from the start, as will the improved version of Cal Raleigh. Hopefully.
Lydia: And Julio won't spend a month getting jobbed by the umps.
April: Right.
Lydia: Still, though, I want them to make a big splash. Win now, baby!
Brian: Okay, well, I guess we'll see what happens. In the meantime, have a great rest of the holiday season, and we'll see you folks back in the spring.
April: Sounds good.
Lydia: Go M's! Sign Trea Turner!

No comments:

Post a Comment